People often ask whether it is better to use a physical board or an electronic board. The answer of course is that it depends. What is the context of the team and the project? How many team members? Are you distributed? and so on.
In this post, I’ll talk about five reasons why physical boards are better than electronic boards. Tomorrow, I’ll do the opposite, with five reasons why electronic boards are better than physical boards. Finally I’ll do a post on how to choose between the two.
Are you ready? Here we go:
- Physical boards are always visible: You put it up on the wall and its always visible from anywhere. At any time, you can just lift your head and know the latest state of the board. Anybody walking by will peek in and get an idea of the board.
- Physical boards are tactile: There is something about picking up cards and moving them that is nice and makes team members feel more involved. I don’t know what it is, but it works.
- They encourage conversation: When someone is walking by and sees the board, they tend to ask questions about it and it builds a conversation.
- They are flexible: You can easily make the physical board in any form you want. Need extra columns? Need a completely custom board design? Want to decorate the card with stickers to denote different conditions? Want to annotate it with custom information? Want to write on the back of the card? You can do all of that.
- They are simple and intuitive: Everyone knows how to use a physical board. You don’t need one week of training to figure out how to put a card on the board
There you have it – 5 reasons to prefer a physical board.